Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

The heat wave of last week has moved on for now. Could open the windows and get some fresh air in the house. Also spend some time outside and not feel like you are breathing water with the high humidity.

The trivia gang got together on Monday to celebrate birthdays of two of the gang. We had picked this day over a month ago and it ended up on the day the US was playing Belgium in the World Cup. 

The establishment was busy, even the staff was dressed in red, white and blue including this tie dye jump suit.  



We stayed through the first half of the match. Normally none of us watch sporting events in a bar. Sure while we are there games are on the TV, but we aren't paying much attention. In this case all the TVs were on the game and they had the sound on, not closed captioning. Everyone cheered when the US finally scored a goal. Plus I don't think I have every heard a crowd sing the Star Spangled Banner so enthusiastically at a sporting event. Sadly the US is now out of the tourney, along with the two other host countries Mexico and Canada. 

In between things I have had a lot of time to read. I got a big stack of books last week to get through and I read a nearly 500 page book over the 4th weekend.   


The Button Man -  is a prequel to the Hugo Marston books in Paris. Hugo is assigned as security chief in London and is tasked with babysitting a celebrity couple after they are involved in a fatal hit and run. When one of the couple is found dead and the other one gives Hugo the slip, bad things start to happen. Or more bad things start to happen. Great book, fast read.  
 

Picking up the Pieces - Katie is back home after her mother's death. She has taken over her mother's old job at the jigsaw puzzle company. When her father is accused of murder, Katie is determined to find the last piece of the puzzle to find the killer. 

The Gales of November - a nicely written book on the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald freighter. Author goes through the typical routine of shipping on the Great Lakes, how ships are run. Also background on the crew who perished. After reading this I wish I would have had the thought 50 years ago to get in touch with my uncle who was a captain on a freighter to find out his thoughts and his experiences. My family did make one visit to his freighter when I was a kid and I still remember it fondly. 

 





 Happy Reading

Comments

  1. Hope you are enjoying the respite from the heat ~ Great post ~ Hugs ^_^

    https://anartistreflects.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven’t watched any of the soccer matches, though sad to hear the states and our neighbors are
    out…that is a really cool jumpsuit…wonder if she did the tie dye herself? if so, a job well done.
    clever title on book two…
    whitefizh wavez two ewe dobby ‼️😸🧑🀍🀍🧑

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how busy the place was, it's sad all the host countries are out of the tournament now.

    Your books look fascinating, especially the 3rd. As with so many, the Edmund Fitzgerald story continues to call to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments on books or crochet projects. Or tell me what you are reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Time

Crochet

Crochet